Copy of Copy of Copy of Start Up Busines

Apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment

You might be able to get a payment of £500 if you need to self-isolate because of coronavirus (COVID-19) and you cannot work from home.

This payment is available in England and Wales. In Wales it’s called the ‘Self-isolation support scheme’.

Find out what financial support you can get if you’re in Scotland or Northern Ireland.


If you’re employed, you’ll pay tax on the payment if you go over your tax-free personal allowance. Your tax code will change to collect the tax. You will not pay National Insurance contributions on the payment. If you’re self-employed you must report the payment on your Self Assessment tax return.



You can get the payment if all of the following apply:

  • you’re self-isolating because you tested positive for coronavirus, or because you were told to by NHS Test and Trace or the NHS COVID-19 app

  • you’re employed or self-employed and unable to work from home

  • you’re on a low income - for example if you get certain benefits


Your council website will tell you what counts as being on a low income.


You cannot get the payment if you’re self-isolating because you came to the UK from abroad.

Apply through your council

Go to your local council's website to apply.